Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Summer Re-cap

Summertime always seems to fly by too quickly for me. Before I know it, it is time to hit the books again with my boys. This summer was no different. We worked, we played and we visited friends. We were not able to have a family vacation but we did manage to take a couple of weekend get aways and day trips.

So here is a quick look at some of the highlights of our busy summer.

We bought a pregnant Saanen dairy goat the first of this year and by late spring we had two does born! There is nothing quite like having baby goats. They are so much fun. They can be just as much a pet as a farm animal. Just look at these two! We named them Sugar and Spice. We chose the right name for Spice because she does have a "spicy" attitude ;-)

We learned how to milk a goat, how to prepare the milk and I was very busy finding ways to use all of the wonderful milk we were able to get! I began to hear complaints every time someone opened the refrigerator. "I can't find anything in here for all this milk!" was a common remark.
So I began making yogurt, shown below, and a yummy soft cheese, sour cream, buttermilk and ricotta cheese. Talk about busy!! It was very rewarding though.
I was fortunate to make a trip to the farmer's market with a dear friend. She suggested going along with me for my first "buying experience" and I am so glad she did! It can be very overwhelming. There are so many vendors and they will negotiate with you on their prices! What fun! I bought this box of tomatoes for only $5.00!!! Aren't they beautiful? I had planned to can them but we ended up eating them all fresh. They were so delicious.



I also bought corn from the farmer's market. This was my first attempt at freezing corn. Brooke went in on halves with me so she came over and together we put up creamed corn....whew.....sore fingers and a messy kitchen was our sacrifice. Speaking of messy kitchen, even now, months later, every once in a while a speck of something will catch my eye in the most unusual place in my kitchen and I will wonder, "What in the world is that? Oh, of course, CORN!" Next year this will be a back porch job!!



Our summer garden didn't produce as much as I would have liked but we were able to get a few good pickings of peas. We did get lots of okra. It seems every year we have a good crop of okra that continues producing through the entire summer.


Here is our pea sheller. What a time saver!


There was time for a little R & R. Brooke and I had girls' night out with a couple of friends and we went to see Mary Poppins at the Tampa Bay Performing Arts Center. We really enjoyed ourselves and this was something that no one else in my family envied me for going to see. This was most definitely a "girl thing" to do, according to all my guys!!





How was your summer?

6 comments:

Sharon said...

You certainly were a busy gal!

Unknown said...

well no told me! i'm so upset. i know i know well we didn't know if you could come. i would have!!!!u have been a busy bee and would love to be able to make all those nice things and have all those babies. maybe the Lord has something in store next year???luv u bunchessss

Boysaplenty!! said...

Kay,
Next time we plan a girls night out I will be sure to let you know!
It was a lot of fun and we would have loved having you along :-(
But then again, if you come down for a visit we will MAKE a girls' night out-how's that?
I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store!!!!!!!

Ginger said...

Terrell and I picked a whole trailer full of corn years ago to put up, and I told myself I would never...ever...put up cream corn again. lol It was soooo good though.
Does goat milk taste different than cows milk? It's kinda like deer to me, it's this thing in my head. I see those signs on the road that says goats fudge and I think ugh! lol (don't laugh at me Kay, I know what you're thinking ha ha)

krackerjap said...

Well, Mary Poppins was for the birds... literally. You needed an eagle's eye to see what was going on. That would be my fault. I misread the seating chart and ordered the worst seats in the house!

Unknown said...

oh ginger, you are one of my bestest friends, i would never think anything?????