Thursday, September 23, 2010

Preparing For Winter

My husband is just about the most handy, creative guy I know. Really. He never ceases to amaze me. When things are broken or in need of repair in and around our home it seems he can always fix it. There are very few times we ever have to call a repairman out. You know how much money that saves us?

So, I decided to brag on him a little today. Can you tell what this invention is? I looked out my front window one morning and saw my man outside with this "thing" behind his truck. Out the door we came to see what he had created. This, my dear friends, is a log splitter!

Last winter Monroe borrowed a store bought log splitter from a friend. We use a lot of wood during the winter. It is our main source of heat for our home. We have a large fireplace in our living room that keeps us nice and warm but it surely likes to devour wood. So, using that borrowed log splitter set my hubby's imagination spinning. He had been pondering about building one for a few days because we talked about it several times. Work has been very slow over at the shop so that gave him some extra time to put his thoughts into action.
He used all scrap pieces of metal, parts from a wrecked truck and a lawn mower motor that were of no use at the shop and TAAAH...DAAAH....a log splitter!!
The axe or blade thingy that splits the wood is just a flat piece of metal that he bent and welded together. Then he used a grinder to put the edge on the blade. Pretty nifty don't you think?
The trailer was an old road sign trailer that is used on the highway to hold the flashing signs.
I looked in the Tractor Supply flyer that came this week and they were advertising what else but log splitters! Guess how much they cost???? They cost from $1,000 to $1,800!! Talk about a savings!


It makes me happy to know that my boys can learn from their Dad. They are watching and learning. One day when they are in charge of their own household I hope they will look back and remember all the things their Dad made and repaired at our home. I have a feeling he will be getting some phone calls in the future for some advice which he will not mind at all :-)
They are already excited about the new log splitter because splitting logs is a chore they must take a turn doing during the winter months. Now they just have to stack, stack, stack!


4 comments:

Sharon said...

He sounds a lot like my future son in law! Always thinking and making something to work around the farm. That is wonderful that he is so creative, Pam!

Boysaplenty!! said...

Well Carissa is certainly blessed with a great husband-to-be!! Sounds like they are meant for each other!

krackerjap said...

That looks more like a limb chopper off-er to me (and I dont mean tree limb.)

Unknown said...

finally have my computer back and so glad to see all the new stuff!!! i'm telling you, if they down own a truck, wear jeans and just love that supper was cooked for them, he aint your kind of man?oops talking to me. man i love these inventions!!!i'm getting me on those one day.!