Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Fall Gardening Has Begun

Can you guess what we are having for supper? I have a pot of mustard greens cooking. My house smells of greens and that gives my family the feeling of fall...even if it is 90+ degrees outside. No matter the weather, our mustard greens are faithful to grow so beautiful and tasty! So, tonight we will dine on greens, chicken and rice casserole and cornbread.
I have rutabagas (left row), mustard greens, collards, beets, spinach and turnips planted so far. The only vegetable ready to eat, however, is the mustard. I can't wait for the cool weather. It always "sweetens" all of the greens. The mustard greens have been so plentiful we have been able to share with many friends and family members. I will be putting some in the freezer as well.

I don't really know what happened to my row of broccoli. These two lonely little plants are the only ones to survive. Oh well, I will put in another row tonight. I will be planting a variety of lettuces, onions, carrots cabbage and another row of mustard soon. Collards will last all winter but the other greens will not so I must plant more mustard to be able to eat it all winter.


I just had to include this cute picture of our farm cat, Sparkle! Doesn't she look so sweet and cuddly? She really is too. I walked into the kitchen and found her in one of her favorite places but she has never chosen to nap in my seed box before. She usually just sleeps on the shelf.


By the way, would you folks up north kindly send some of your cool weather our way? I want to open my windows and let the fresh air in so badly!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yum yum they were so good and i put up one gallon also so that will be just enough!!! they were sweet!

krackerjap said...

You had greens and failed to invite me over? How rude. I guess I couldnt eat them anyways. Maybe chew them up and not swallow... Reese wouldnt like me very much if I ate them. They are best when you drop them in boiling water for just a second and then eat them! yum!
And sparkle is not all sweet like you make her sound. She is a computer chair hog who thinks she owns the house. (im itching just thinking about her.)