Friday, November 6, 2009

The Best Birthday!

Wow, is it already the second week in November???? My days have been extremely busy lately and I don't "do" busy if you know what I mean. Also, my family has been taking turns with a stomach virus for over a week now. Just about the time traffic slows down to the bathroom and I breathe a sigh of relief....someone else darts by me headed to the bathroom. It has been a couple of days now with no "incidents" - dare I breathe that sigh of relief? Ahhh, such is life in a large family.


My birthday was the last week in October and I was fortunate to spend it in my favorite place ever, the Appalachian Mountains!!!! Monroe and I sort of had a trade-off. You see, he was invited to go to Texas on a hunting trip with a friend. As a matter of fact, he has been gone this week on his hunting trip (he missed out on the sharing of the stomach bug...lucky). So when my dear friend, Kay, mentioned that she had a trip planned to the mountains to see the gorgeous fall leaves it was a done deal ;-) I think we hit the autumn show at the peak time too.


This time Bran and Bryce were able to go along as well. We had such a good time just being out in nature enjoying God's creation. We went on long drives every day we were there. I know the pictures don't really capture the true beauty we saw but here are a few of my favorite shots.

This red tree just stood out all alone. Isn't it beautiful!




I don't know if you can see it but there is a farm down in the valley in this picture. Ummm....what was that tenth commandment?....something about coveting?....ah geeez!

One day we went for a drive on the Cherohala Parkway. You could hear the ooooo's and aaahhhh's as we climbed higher and higher. The contrast in the colors of the leaves was just amazing. Then we began to notice bare trees. When we made it to the highest point it was a completely bare forest as you can see in this picture with Bryce.

We enjoyed delicious picnic lunches each day. Kay baked a turkey breast before we left Georgia and it was so good. We dined on cheese and crackers, sandwiches, hummus and chips. I think it tasted even better because of the atmosphere and chilly weather!! Yummy!



Another picnic spot by the river. This was another day, I promise! We did do more than eat!!




Even on a rainy day Tallualah Falls Gorge was breath taking!!





Another shot by falls. I can't remember the name of these falls.


A highlight of the trip was our visit to Foxfire. The boys and I are studying American History this year and this was a perfect field trip to add to our school year. How about that for creativity. I was able to add in a day of school on our vacation. Shhh, don't tell the boys.






This is a picture of the gorge at Tallulah Falls. It is out of order with the other pictures. I can no longer move my pictures around with blogspot. I'm not sure why. Anyway, views like this one always make me stand in awe of my Creator. He is so big and powerful and yet he takes notice of ME?

"When I consider Thy heavens, the work of Thy fingers,
The moon and the stars, which Thou hast ordained;
What is man, that Thou dost take thought of him?
And the son of man, that Thou dost care for him?
Oh Lord, our Lord,
How majestic is Thy name in all the earth!"
Psalm 8: 3-4 &9

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this was such a memory for me. thank you. yes dance, dance dance for and to the Lord as David did! His majesty is everywhere.

krackerjap said...

Glad your best birthday was away from most of your family!

Sharon said...

Pam!!!!!!!!! When you were at Tallulah Gorge, you were only 30 minutes away from me!!!!!!! I wish I would have known!!! I would have met you there!!!!

Boysaplenty!! said...

Sharon,
Oh how I wish I would have tried to contact you!!!! That would have been a great idea to meet up at Tallulah Gorge. We were there about Oct.30th I believe. It was a rainy, nasty day but we enjoyed it just the same. I knew you lived somewhere around there just wasn't sure how far away. You are blessed to live in such beautiful county! It was absolutely gorgeous!! I definintely want to take the rest of my family there one day. I'll be sure to contact you next time!