Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A New Favorite Hobby

With summer coming rapidly to an end, I began to reflect on the activities our family didn't get an opportunity to enjoy during our summer vacation. Honestly, I don't know when the long summers days slipped by me! It seems like it was just last week we started summer break! So, the last couple of weeks around our house has been crammed with last minute fun.


This school year Brad will start college which means I will have two of my guys attending college. This is a bittersweet feeling for me. I am excited for them as they take another step into their independence and future. It is certainly keeping this mom on her knees!

With all this in mind it sounded like a good time to have a fun day at the beach. We decided the night before to pack our lunch and head for the coast the next morning. It was a decision we didn't regret.
We had so much fun. The guys rented surf boards and spent the WHOLE day in the water. They came out only to grab a sandwich and headed right back for the waves. In all our years of going to the beach I don't know why we never thought to rent surfboards before this trip.

Here is Bradley "catching a wave".
Then we have surfer dude Brent.


All four of my beach bums enjoying the beautiful day.



The boys really amazed me at how easily it was for them to master the surfboard. They said it was from all the practice they have had at home. At home? Huh? Then they reminded me of the times they had taken the four-wheeler out in the back pasture and pulled each other in the canal on a skimboard!! The four-wheeler ran along the bank of the canal. They are hilarious!
I'll save that material for another post as I recall that I do have some pictures of them skimboarding in the canal! You just gotta love boys!!



Here comes my baby. Can I still call him that?


And here is my baby too. I guess they will always be my baby!



Brandon lending Bryceton a helping hand. I loved watching them. Brandon was very patient with his little brother and let him borrow his surfboard for a very long time considering the surfboard rental was coming out of his own money!


Bryce tried and tried but never quite got up on the board. Maybe next time.





The long ride back home. Can you tell they had an awesome day?



This picture is a rare sight. Brandon goes full speed every day until bedtime. Not this day!!



I am overhearing plans being made for the next break from school. I have a feeling we will be packing our lunch once again and heading for the beach. I love going to the beach too. However, as some of you may already know, I am an umbrella hugger and I still manage to get sunburned :-( Yes, even with sunscreen!
It doesn't stop me. I always have a great time when we go because it is so relaxing and I love watching my kids just being kids!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

this is a fabulous post! the pics are great. my pics of the beach are pitiful. i really have to get better. you take great pics!! they looked good too on the boards. i miss those days with my grown kids now its my grandbabies time!! luv u guys xoxooxoxo

Boysaplenty!! said...

Thanks Kay. Actually I grabbed Brent's camera. He doesn't go anywhere without it. I never can remember to take mine! His camera is much nicer than mine and has a nice zoom. I took all of these from the safety of my UMBRELLA :-(
You keep making memories with those grandbabies! It will mean more than you may ever know!