Thursday, July 30, 2009

Family Reunion Time

This past Saturday was our 5th annual Mathews family reunion. We celebrate this special day in honor of my mother-in-law who was so suddenly taken from us in July 2004 in a tragic car accident. Losing her has truly left a huge hole in our family! If you were ever blessed to have met this strong, young at heart, little Japanese woman you would understand the emptiness our family still feels.




So, once a year family and friends all gather at our place for a get together. My mother-in-law was the "glue" that held the family together, as my brother-in-law so rightly stated shortly after her death. This annual gathering is the perfect way to keep us all in touch. With our busy lives we seem to lose track of extended family. Left to right we have Uncle Charles, Pop, Aunt Vera Mae and Charlene. Having this generation of our family with us is what makes these reunions an extra ordinary occasion!!






The next generation! You all know I just had to slip a picture of my little "Reesie Cup" in !!

Left to right, Dale, Abner and Monroe.
Old friends make the day memorable as well. Especially being able to actually hug this dear friend, Abner.
We are so glad he is back!!! This retired colonel has been a friend of the family for many, many years.



Uncle Charles asking the Lord's blessings on the food and our family.




The food line. We had so much delicious food, as always. Plenty of ribs, chicken, smoked pork, fried fish and all the fixins to go along with it. It was soooo hot this year. I made 20 gallons of sweet tea, and 4 gallons of lemonade not to mention all the bottled water that was consumed. Making tea sure kept me busy!





My sister-in-law, Darlene, (or Sugar as we all call her and she lives up to her name!) and her hubby, Paul. It is always a treat to see them as they live a few hours away.


Okay, time for the disclaimer....the next few pictures you must view at your own risk...Nurse Rhonda (my niece) you should not look any further ;-) Our family reunion is never complete without the wild and crazy activites in the afternoon. The Lord is faithful to us and sends our guardian angels for protection. I don't know, there is just something in the Mathews' blood about being daring, going fast, pushing the limits. I have a couple of those guys that I am currently raising! Keeps me on my knees!


I am not sure who came up with this idea, but it is an annual sport that the grown-up (adult/kids) love. Crank up the airboats......






Parker ran to Nonna (me) for safety with the noise of the loud engines. He wasn't impressed at all!





Yes, that is a parachute and yes it IS being lifted by the airboats and yes that is MY SON, Brandon. This activity actually started out using a huge tarp. The guys enjoyed it but it was hard to hang on to. Last year a worn out parachute was used and it was better. However, this year my niece found this parachute at a thrift store for only $2.00!! It was in perfect condition and worked great, so I am told.


Little Tony going for a ride.
Little Mike, Jenny and family. Geeeez I feel old watching my nephews and nieces with their growing families.



The next activity of the day was toned down quite a bit for the younger daredevils. A ride behind the four-wheeler on a sled-type board. After this picture was taken someone came up with a creative idea. The plastic feed barrel we use for Missy, our cow, was swiped from the pasture and holes drilled in the front of it so that it could be pulled behind the four-wheeler. Apparently the passengers were rolling off the edge of the sled/board. I missed getting a picture of the new sled.





After a quick afternoon shower the little ones soon discovered a rather large mudpuddle. I thought this was a very cute picture! On such a special day I think the moms and dads just let the kids have their fun too in spite of the dirty clothes and shoes they had to deal with.


Another reunion passed with many, many great memories and stories to tell and re-tell! We love our family and count it a privilege to host this event. Until next year....

No comments: