Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sugar Babies

We have been enjoying a new variety of watermelon this summer. It is called Sugar Baby and it certainly lives up to it's name! These little melons are not much bigger than a cantaloupe which I love because they don't take up as much room in my refrigerator and if you are like me there is ALWAYS a shortage of space in my refrigerator. When I begin to get frustrated at trying to make leftovers and such "fit", it reminds me to stop and be thankful for the abundance the Lord has blessed us with. I just imagine how I would be feeling if all I had to put in my refrigerator was a melon??? Thank you Lord for this inconvenience. Anyway, back to these Sugar Baby melons. We have had so much success with these little beauties this year we haven't bought any watermelons from the grocery store! Also, the seeds from these melons are open-pollinated which means I should be able to replant the seeds next summer. That is my goal. One day I would like to only have to go to the grocery store once in a while for a few staples. I have a long way to go before reaching that goal but I am learning so much as I go. I love sitting down to a meal, looking over the dishes before us and realizing we either grew it, raised it here at home or it is venison that hubby/boys brought home!! It truly makes us thankful for the blessings the Lord has provided for our family!

Here is a satisfied seed-spittin', melon-eatin' boy! We like to gather in the kitchen after working outside in the hot, hot Florida summer weather and we start slicing these ice cold watermelons. They really hit the spot and quench our thirst!! Ahhh, one of the pleasures of summertime!
Hope you are enjoying your summer. It is passing so quickly!!

1 comment:

Marci said...

I agree with you. There is nothing so satisfying as having done the labor to provide your meal. We are having our first garden meal tonight!!!