Thursday, February 26, 2009

What to do with all those oranges


One of the things that I love about Florida is all of the delicious oranges we enjoy each winter.

Recently, I was thinking about oranges and all of the uses this fruit provides our family. I thought it might be fun to list a few of them.


Of course we all love to drink the nutritious juice. My guys help with the squeezing....which usually turns into playing!


The remains of the orange after making juice goes to our pigs. They love the peel and fruit that is left in the orange.



Have you ever wondered what happens to all those orange peels at the juice plants? One of the many uses for these remains is to feed it to the livestock. My hubby is able to get some of this on occasion for our animals and it is a real treat for them.



They will nibble on this pile for a few weeks. The picture doesn't show the true color. It is actually more orange colored than this. Today, I saw our momma cow, Missy, lying down right in the middle of the citrus peel! The hill is lower now than when this picture was taken. I guess she wanted to be able to graze and rest at the same time! Isn't that just like a Mom, multi-tasking ; )

And one last use for our oranges is a game we play with Napoleon, our pet goat....


Doesn't he look hilarious? He lets us put the oranges on his horns and then he wants to have a man vs. goat boxing match. Usually Monroe or one of the older boys will tussle with him. It is all in fun. It is almost as if he becomes "king" when he gets those oranges on his head!!
As much as I love the orange season, I must say spring is my favorite time of year and I sure am ready to get my spring garden planted and my flowers planted as well!
Blessings to all

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Your goats eyes are beautiful. Does he wear contacts? lol
I need that orange juice at my house right now with all of my sick youngins.

krackerjap said...

You forgot to mention in your beautiful blog how your lovely, nutritious, wonderful oranges smell up the whole field after a week or two of being piled out there. Oh, the smells of home!

Unknown said...

that reminded me of my juice and i just drank up the last gallon, (lip sticking out), had to buy some oj, but i did buy that good ole lake wales,fl juice. wasn't as thick or sugary but good.napoleon looks so cute. have you'll petted merrybell yet? your kindred spirit!

krackerjap said...

Parker LOVES reading your blog and is ready for a new one! He tells me to read him the story.

He told me today when we saw your sausage post "Nonna cook meat" and when we read your Alafia post (again) he pointed to the old man with the beard and said it was poppa!