Tuesday, February 17, 2009


We celebrateValentine's Day in our home each year with a treasure hunt. This year was no exception. I always wake up early and create a list of hints that takes each child on a separate adventure throughout the house, sometimes outside the house. My children have always looked forward to it. I think they are just as excited about the hunt as they are about the gift that awaits them! Even the older guys enjoy the game which really surprises me. I think it is a part of their childhood they are in no hurry to leave behind. As a mom, I kinda like that!
Here is an example of one hint: " Good morning Valentine! Let's start at the 'beginning' for our first clue. "

Here Brandon is searching Genesis for the next hint. He is looking in the "beginning". From this point he may be off to the dishwasher, fireplace, washing machine, freezer...you just never know where that next clue may be. Another example he had on this particular day was: "Were you just a 'wee' bit stumped dear? Here is the last 'wee' little clue. We should always be ready to be a 'warrior' for Christ and 'battle' our flesh and Satan!" This was the final hint and the gift was in the Weapons and Warriors game box. No one seemed to be able to find the answer to the last clue. Even Dad joined in the search as I was shouting, "Now your warm! No! No! Now you are cold!"
Alas, two happy Valentines!! Did you notice Brandon's hint with the "wee" clue in it? His gift was the wii remote. The gift doesn't usually work together so nicely with the clue so naturally I couldn't resist the play on words with this one!
Brent was not home when we played our game. So, Brandon and Bryce decided to make a treasure hunt for him later on that day. They didn't want big brother to be left out. Don't tell anyone but I think Brent was glad they remembered to include him.
Hope everyone enjoyed a wonderful Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

krackerjap said...

Would it really be that much more trouble to still include me in the treasure hunting? Just because I am married, have 3 kids and live in another town doesn't mean I should be left out. :(

Unknown said...

oh pam that was beautiful!!YOU really have a way of story telling, i found myself in the treasure hunt? how did that happen, i'm here in ga. that was and is so dear