Monday, February 2, 2009

Sausage Making Time

We recently butchered our second hog ourselves. Our first attempt was pretty much unrecognizable chunks of pork by the time we got through with it! I just made a lot of BBQ pork sandwiches, soups and such with the meat. It was still delicious, so much better than any you might buy in the grocery store!


Thankfully, this time went so much better. We actually have boneless pork chops, tenderloin and ribs. Monroe de-boned everything, except the ribs, of course. Then we decided to try our hand at making breakfast sausage. We had some fresh venison and we added pork ham in with it to give the venison a little more fat since it is such a lean meat. We also used Leggs seasoning mix. The results were definitely worth all the effort. We made about 35 lbs. of sausage. If you look closely in the picture you can see the difference in the texture of the two piles of sausage. The meat coming out of the grinder is the second time through. The other pile is much coarser and still needs another time through the grinder.


This sausage won't last long around here. My boys would eat it everyday if I would cook it for them. We didn't make link sausage. Instead we decided to leave it ground . I think it will be more versatile this way. For example, I needed a quick lunch Friday so I cooked the sausage with chopped potatoes and onions. It was a snap to fix! Most importantly, it was a hit! I can also mix the sausage with ground beef for certain dishes. I think I will try that with chili.

It is so rewarding to sit down to a meal and realize that we know where everything on the table is from. The fresh vegetables from our garden, the bread baked from our kitchen and the meat hunted by the guys or homegrown. No worries about tainted vegetable fields or diseased meats. Then when we bow our heads to give thanks to our Heavenly Father for His goodness, we truly know how dependent we are on Him!

4 comments:

krackerjap said...

Grossssssssss. Thanks for showing us the process. I've always NOT wanted to see that.
Poor little Ham hock.

Unknown said...

it is a good feeling!!!lunch was soooo good friday, and yes you can tell! that is the first pork i have eaten in long time and last time too unless i get a hog grown and butchered myself. i say it again, i can tell you what store you buy your meat from when you cook it because of the chemicals. that pork and venison friday absolutely had a "sweet" as in honey not as in "words" aroma. it was delectable, is that how you spell it, heehee.even the headlight lettuce's were delicious and that broccoli was yum yum yummy. if my memory serves me right, i ate ALL the leftovers. yep yummy yummy good for the tummy.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I like my sausage biscuit with strawberry jam. Before I place my order, I need to know if you will be growing the strawberries for that also :) Yum, yum!

Boysaplenty!! said...

krackerjap:

You might as well get use to it girlfriend!


closer:

I'm glad you enjoyed lunch! The company was the best to me! Looking forward to the next visit.

KayCee:

I promise some sausage, biscuits and strawberry jam if you will come see me!! I won't be growing my own strawberries-not up for that yet-but I already have my name on the notification list for organic u-pick strawberries in Plant City when they are ready so I will have your jam too! I hope this freeze we are about to have the next couple of nights doesn't ruin the crops.


Love you guys!
Pam