Saturday, November 8, 2008

Our Fall Garden

A couple of months ago the boys and I got busy getting the ground ready for our fall/winter garden. Our summer garden didn't produce very much so I had our soil tested and found that the ph level was too high so sulphur was recommended to be added to the garden area. After applying the sulphur, we patiently waited 2 weeks, as the directions said, before planting. Next, we got the tiller out. This is the part the boys love!




They are such good helpers!









Next we planted mustard greens, collard greens, cabbage, rutabaga, beets, turnip greens, carrots, kale, spinach and a variety of lettuces.


Here Bryce has come up with his own technique of covering seed. Oh well, whatever works! It seems like the hard way to me. I don't think I could get up after going down the whole row like that!!


Here is another shot of the garden. I will be planting potatoes and strawberries on the outer edges of the garden in a few months when the planting time is right. You can see where that area is not tilled up. Also, I saved some room for planting more cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower later on. This way we have those veggies as long as possible, hopefully into spring. Does anyone know if it is possible to freeze broccoli or cauliflower?


Now there is a tired little boy in need of a well deserved break! My boys always chip in to help us and with a good attitude. I am very grateful for them and I am sure to let them know how important they are to me and their Dad. Since we have moved onto this property they have learned the satisfaction that comes with hard work. They enjoy the bounty of the garden and learn that they are very beneficial to our family. We have memorized Philippians 2:14-15..."Do everything without complaining, do everything without arguing. So that you may become blameless and pure children of God." I must say, they have applied that verse in a very "hands on" way!

Have a great weekend!

Pam

2 comments:

Kay Cee said...

Now that your garden is done, want to come plant one in our yard? You could use it as a science experiment...Which veggies do N FL deer like best, or do veggies grow better in former cow pastures? I have eaten lots of frozen broccoli and cauliflower (after cooking them :) ) so give it a shot. I love your blog. Thanks for inviting me to read and keep up w/ya!

Unknown said...

make sure you plant like you are supposed to because when it is my turn i'm gonna need an experienced hand (s), bryce looks like he did a real fine job, yeah! just luv tator and berries, yum