Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Looking Good!

We have been enjoying squash and green beans fresh from our garden for the past week. It seems the yellow squash and zucchini almost grow right before our eyes! I don't know if you can tell from the photo but the zuchini toward the back is about 14 inches long! I didn't mean for it to get that big. I guess I overlooked it while picking the day before.

This pile of contender green beans is from one day's picking and from only one row! This will be enough for two meals for my guys. I spent the day processing these beans. I am freezing them because my family prefers frozen green beans over canned green beans. I put them in boiling water for 3 minutes then immediately put them in ice water to stop the cooking process. After that I air dry them on the counter top. Then I seal them up in my Food Saver. It is so easy and inexpensive to do and we get to enjoy green beans year round!
I will get more picture of the garden soon. Everything is growing so beautifully! We can see teeny baby cucumbers coming so I will be pickling soon. I wanted to use my own dill to make pickles but I am still waiting for my dill seed to break the ground. Oh well, I may have to buy a dill plant or I could make sweet pickles until my dill plants begin to grow. Decisions, decisions....

Oh, and I believe the tomato seeds that I planted back in February ALL came up!! I have never had so many tomato plants!! In fact, we are in the process of clearing out the grass on the side of our house so I can plant more tomatoes there. This is not the best planting location due to the shade part of the day but I am all out of room in the garden. I'll have to get some pictures of that as well. Trust me, I am making garden notes of all this so I will better prepared next year. My plan was to have enough tomatoes to make my own sauce and have canned tomatoes. However, I never expected such a success rate from seeds. And to think that I have paid dearly for my tomato plants in the past! The expense of growing from seed is a fraction of the cost I normally spent for a plant! Hmmmm....somebody is making some money....unfortunately it ain't me! Ha, Ha! I'm just trying to hang on to what we have :-)
Until next time!

8 comments:

Ginger said...

Okay, you're beginning to make me tired like Kay does when she's told me everything she does in a day, but everything looks delicious. In fact, I have some squash in my crisper that I forgot about. lol Thanks for reminding me!

-Brad- said...

When I get a huge zucchini, I use my Spirooli and make zoodles (zucchini that I use as pasta). http://www.cookingtoys.com/spirooli-world-cuisine-vegetable-slicer.html

Marci said...

Ooops, that Brad above is me. :)

krackerjap said...

Ok, I will take a pound of green beans and 28 inches of zucchini.... And when are your lazy hens going to get busy? I'm tired of those pale eggs from Publix.

Boysaplenty!! said...

Marci,
Thanks for the tip on using my zucchini! I would like to try that! LOL You did have me puzzled there for a minute...Brad ;-)

Brooke,
I know, my hens are getting to be old ladies and I don't have the heart to "get rid" of them. We had a hen sitting on a nest and I was so excited but I guess the eggs were all duds. We may try hatching our own once again. I would be so happy knowing my grandsons are eating healthy eggs too! Hopefully they will love goats milk as well.

Ginger said...

I'm with you Brooke. I want some "real" eggs".

Unknown said...

i'm so jealous, i'm wring my hands, twitching my feet, geez! my plants are nowhere looking like they want to have anything on them. i'll tell you the fight between me, the bugs, the squirrels, i'm pooped but golly i'm gonna win this battle. well some of them, we now have ZILCH of peaches. not one!!!i've babied those 2 trees, you name it and bam-gone!

krackerjap said...

You're getting hens for mother's day!!