Monday, January 11, 2010

Frozen Florida

We have been having some unusually cold weather this past week for Florida! According to our weather forecaster it even got down to freezing in Miami!! There was a possibility of snow flurries on Saturday in our area and some of our friends did see the flurries but we only got sleet. It was still fun for the boys to go outside and actually see it falling.


This is what we woke up to this morning. Okay, so we "helped" to get this effect :-) Every winter when the temperature gets low enough Monroe sets up our water hose and micro-jet or whatever invention crosses his mind so that the boys can play in the ice.



Every winter he comes up with a different icy creation. I really liked this one with the icecicles hanging off the fence and bird bath.The boys always enjoy playing it the ice. Hey, we have to make these cold days fun somehow. They get out and "ice skate" on the frozen grass. I love to watch boys play!


Speaking of ice skating, I did a little skating of my own yesterday morning. It wasn't too much fun, however. I was over at Brooke's house and I stepped out her back door with Parker in my arms and I didn't see the ice on her backporch. I went sliding and as I was falling all I could think about was protect Parker. So, down I went. I fell on all fours but I was able to keep my baby from getting hurt. His head hit the tricycle but it didn't leave a mark so it wasn't too bad. I am feeling like I was in a car wreck this morning, though, sore and bruised. I have a scraped nose to boot! My kids have an ongoing joke about a previous fall I had and I scraped my nose then too! They think I don't notice but I still hear them grinning behind my back. As I was on the ground yesterday morning gathering my senses (I think they went flying with the spill!) all I could think was, "Ahh Geez, my kids are never going to let me forget this one! They wouldn't dare poke fun yet but I am prepared. Just give it a couple of weeks and I will become the topic around the dinner table. I can just hear them now, "Yeah, remember the SECOND time Mom fell and injured her nose...." That's okay, by then I can laugh along with them.

When you get to be older with responsibilities you don't think these cold days are too much fun. Brent had to get up this morning and scrape the ice off of his windshield before leaving for college. Notice the bare hands. Florida Boy-ha! ha! He does have gloves but did he remember to put them on?





Getting ready to leave with a somewhat clear windshield. This is when we Momma's pray for a hedge of protection for our babies on the roads! Notice the bowl of oatmeal on the dash. Brent said when he got in his truck to leave, the steam off of the oatmeal had formed ice on the inside of the glass!! He never gives himself enough time to eat before leaving for school so he always takes it with him. I don't know about him. As in his ownwords, "It's whatever."

Last night we had about 15 college kids stop by for a bonfire and s'mores. Brent goes down to the school on Sunday evenings to play in the Worship band at the church service on campus. After the service the kids wanted someplace to go so.... I am not complaining at all. In fact, we love to have the college kids over and we tell our boys that our place is always available. We have really been impressed with the guests they have brought here. They have been very respectful and well mannered kids. Last night was no exception. I quickly pulled out the hot cocoa mix I had made. (Thanks Sharon for the recipe. We have been through several batches this winter. It is delicious!) Thankfully, I had ingredients on hand for s'mores. It was a great evening. I think the last of our company left around midnight. Brent had an 8:00 a.m. class this morning and a 45-50 min. drive. He wasn't moving too fast this morning.


It wasn't too cold this morning for "Mr. Ken" the rooster. I keep finding him on my back porch and front porch during this cold snap. I think he would like to come on in and join the rest of our family if we would just invite him.



I always love to look out in the pasture behind the house and see the sunrise no matter what the season. This morning was especially beautiful with the icy grass and the cows grazing. Ahhh, I love the country!





3 comments:

Unknown said...

oooh i do too. i luv the country. we were in the high teens and ice everywhere. all was white but no snow but boy was it beautiful. my washer is on the back porch so i've not been able to wash for 2 weeks, pipe freeze, unthaw and freeze again. i called u back but now i see why u couldn't call me. 15 college kids is like 45 little kids. i too love the woods all around me and sitting on my porch (s), my heart is overwhelmed by His goodness! love u and love your posts. xoxoxo

Boysaplenty!! said...

Thanks Kay. I am glad you are enjoying the blog. It's a great way to stay intouch. I can just see your kitchen area with handwashed clothes hanging to dry! Am I right? ;-)

Unknown said...

thankfully no! my friend said to just wait and the pipes will thaw out and they did and i did one load of laundry. they are frozen right now. but it did scare me not knowing what frozen pipes do. i blew leaves off of bay and back yard today so it was nice in the lower 30's so it felt like summer, hahaha. xoxoxo but isn't julies place gorgeous