Monday, March 8, 2010

Thinking Outside Of The Box

I watched my college son trying to accomplish his Life Of Christ homework assignment one weekend recently. The assignment was to draw or trace a map of Israel. Bradley tried tirelessly to come up with an acceptable copy of Israel. He had the colored pencils out and everything. After finding the correct map of Israel he tried drawing it freehand. Ummmm....not so much. So he attempted to trace the map but the problem was that he couldn't see through his piece of paper well enough.

I was trying to be a supportive mother and give him some ideas but I wasn't much help. I thought to myself, "I am just going to sit back and see how he solves this one". I left the room for a little while. When I came back in this is what I saw...


Now that was a pretty clever idea! I have to admit that I was a little surprised. I don't know if I would have ever came up with this plan. Then I was reminded of some of my goals for home schooling. I wanted my children to be able to think "outside of the box" of education. I wanted them to be thinkers/problem solvers. I wanted them to discover for themselves who they are and know their passion in life believing that our Creator has a blueprint for everyone's life and we are all unique. Not all children fit into the "cookie cutter" mold that our public education system tends to rely on.

So, watching this little scenario play out in the dining room on a Sunday afternoon was amusing and rewarding at the same time. I realize his solution is not complicated. In fact, it is rather simple but he didn't give up and produce a sloppy product. Just look at how accurately he traced this map. Yep, it made this Mamma smile.
Bradley was literally thinking Outside Of The Box.....get it???? Ha! Ha!
Okay, Okay, I know. Reese has NOTHING to do with this blog topic today but I just couldn't help myself. I just had to share this picture of my little baby doll!! Do you recognize this outfit, Kay? It was from you! It looks adorable on doesn't it!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

For those that wait on the Lord shall not faint nor grow weary but be carried on Eagles wings!! bradley is an original and i do love him!!! i couldn't remember any of the outfits, i know i put back about 100 before i said enough is enough, little girls are so much fun to shop and dress up.xoxoxox